10 Important Issues When Selecting Wedding Photography
1. If you like your photographer, then the chances are very high you will like the photographs. Nothing is more important than getting to know the person that will be with you most of the day on arguably the most important day of your life. Be comfortable and confident in this person.
2. Ask for references. Repeat, ask for references. Most reputable photographers will be happy to provide numerous references if asked. Once you have these valuable references, use them!! Contact some or all of the references given. Donít be shy. Most of these couples will be happy to chat with you
3. Photographic style. This comes back to what type of photographs you want. Traditional, photojournalistic, artsy, a combination of all styles. These are questions you need to know when choosing your photographer. Do you want vivid color, creative black and white, montages or again, a combination? Most photographers fit into and enjoy shooting a particular style. Find the style you want and choose appropriately.
4. Wedding day coverage. Most photographers fit into one of two coverage styles. One being, the all-inclusive, all day coverage. This type guarantees the bridal couple unlimited time during their day. This style will usually consist of a set price for all day coverage. The second style is the per hour coverage. Photographers who use this style will usually designate a certain number of hours for a set price or a per hour fee. Any added time may cost extra. Both styles have positives and negatives. The choice is up to you.
5. Film or digital. As technology moves forward, this issue will become more and more non-relevant. There are still many wedding photographers who shoot film. They are dwindling, slowly, but the numbers are decreasing. As digital becomes better, sharper, and with better color and quality, the differences will become negligible. The end result is most important. Are you satisfied with the look and quality of the photography???
6. Who actually will photograph your wedding? In single person businesses, this is not much of an issue. Usually the person you talk with and visit will shoot your wedding. Make sure though that this is indeed true. There are larger businesses where you may talk with a salesperson who is just that, a salesperson. With this situation you need to find out who will be your photographer and meet the actual individual who will photograph your wedding. The last thing you want is a surprise on your wedding day when a photographer shows up who you have never spoken to.
7. Contracts. Insist on a contract for services. NEVER have someone photograph your wedding without a contract that spells out in detail what both parties are responsible for. Read the entire contract and if you have questions or concerns, do not sign until you are satisfied. Make sure the contract is signed by all parties involved.
8. Credentials. Being part of professional organizations such as PPA, WPPI and a variety of other organizations opens a world of opportunities. Networking and training are the most valued pieces of membership. Keeping up with new technologies, ideas and techniques will almost certainly make for a better photographer. If photographers have these credentials, thatís great. Those that choose not to belong to a professional organization can still be excellent photographers. With the advent of the internet, a world of information is at your fingertips. Professional organizations are great but not a necessity for excellent photography.
9. Delivery. When will the photos be ready to view? Good question!! This varies as much or more than anything else in this article. Much has to do with how busy the individual photographer is during the season when your wedding is photographed. A single photographer shooting one wedding per weekend could have your proofs done and presented within a 10 day span. A very busy photographer shooting Friday, Saturday and Sunday will undoubtedly take longer to get your proofs ready to view. After proofs are in your hands, you determine how fast or slow you have your album planned and ordered. This could be a couple of weeks to a couple of months. Most photographers prefer the couple progress fairly quickly with their choices.
10. Price. Last but not forgotten. The worst possible reason for choosing your wedding day photographer. Price is often the one obstacle that prevents wedding clients from selecting the photographer who can give them the best value. Within the framework of the entire wedding day, it makes good sense to evaluate the money spent on photographs in relation to what's being spent on other aspects of the wedding, keeping in mind that pictures are the only thing youíll have after the moment has passed. Years from now, the money you spent on your wedding photos will be irrelevant; whatís important is getting great photographs that capture the joy of your wedding day.
Finger Lakes Serviced: Seneca Lake, Keuka Lake, Cayuga Lake, Canandaigua Lake, Honeoye Lake Some of our vendors service the following NY & PA Towns & Cities:Chemung County, NY - Big Flats, Elmira, Elmira Heights, Erin, Horseheads, Millport, North Chemung, Pine City, Southport, Van Etten, Wellsport; Schuyler County, NY - Burdett, Catherine, Cayuta, Dix, Hector, Montour, Montour Falls, Odessa, Orange, Reading Center, Tyrone, Watking Glen; Steuben County, NY - Addison, Almond, Arkport, Bath, Bradford, Cameron, Campbell, Canisteo, Caton, Cohocton, Corning, Dansville, Erin, Freemont, Gang Mills, Greenwood, Hammondsport, Hartsville, Hornby, Hornell, Thurston, Troupsburg, Tuscarora, Urbana, Wayland, Wayne, West Union, Wheeler, Woodhull; Tompkins County, NY - Caroline, Cayuga Heights, Dryden, East Ithaca, Enfield, Forest Home, Freeville, Groton, Ithaca, Lansing, Newfield, South Danby, South Hill, Trumansburg; Tioga County, NY - Apalachin, Berkshire, Candor, Newark Valley, Nichols, North Barton, Owega, Richford, Spencer, Tioga Center, Waverly; Yates County, NY - Barrington, Benton Center, Dresden, Dundee, Italy Hill, Jerusalem, Middlesex, Milo Center, Penn Yan, Potter, Rushville, Starkey, Torrey. Also Binghamton, NY; Endicott, NY; Waverly, NY, Sayre, PA, Athens, PA.
The Special Event Network of the Finger Lakes Region NY, Finger Lakes NY Wine Country, Upstate NY, Central NY, Southern Tier NY and Northern Tier PA. Copyright 2001-2017 Special Event Network - special event network.net; special event network.com; finger lakes weddings and events.com; finger lakes weddings and events.net; party and wedding directory.com; destination weddings ny.com; finger lakes brides.com; finger lakes special events.info, fingerlakes ny winery weddings.com, special events network.net, finger lakes wedding network.com; finger lakes platinum bridal show.com; finger lakes platinum bridal expo.com; finger lakes destination weddings.net; finger lakes winery weddings.com; destination weddings ny.com; finger lakes bridal events.com. All original content and artwork are the sole property of Special Event Network. All rights reserved. No content or code from this website may be reproduced or used in any fashion without express written permission of Special Event Network.